Another ex-basketball player cleared of charges in alleged rape

BY KYLE RAINEY|NEWS EDITOR

A misdemeanor charge filed against a former student in connection with an alleged campus rape has been dismissed.

Bradley Newman was one of three ex-basketball players who faced charges in connection with the alleged crime; he is the second student who had his case dismissed.

Ermias Nega was the other. He faced a felony rape charge, but his case was dropped in May. In a Lindenlink article, Prosecutor Tim Lohmar said there was “insufficient evidence to proceed to trial.”

A third student, Tylan Birts, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge on July 31. Birts also had been charged with felony rape, but he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault charge. Birts’ sentence includes two years probation and 50 hours of community service.

After Birts was sentenced, the St. Charles County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office said that prosecutors take sexual assault charges seriously, but after a full review of the case, the charges needed to be reduced.

All three men were out-of-state students while attending Lindenwood and will not be returning to the university this fall.

The alleged rape took place Sept. 18 in the 1600 block of Cullom Drive.

A probable cause statement outlined what police believed to have happened that night.

Facebook Comments
6887 Total Views 4 Views Today
Print Friendly, PDF & Email