LINDSEY FIALA | Online Editor
Lindenwood’s Legacy Magazine and Lindenlink.com staff won 16 awards at this year’s Missouri College Media Association conference, which was hosted Saturday by Lindenwood University.
Schools from all over Missouri, including Webster University, Missouri State University, University of Missouri-Columbia and Truman State University gathered in the Library and Academic Resources Center to attend workshops held by industry professionals. Workshops included everything from photojournalism to podcasting to how to use social media to broadcasting.
Awards were given to student journalists and their publications during a ceremony following a St. Louis-style buffet dinner.
Over 300 awards in four different divisions were given out during the ceremony. One of the biggest awards, Best in State, was won by Webster University and its publication, The Journal.
Lindenwood’s Legacy Magazine and Lindenlink.com staff won the following awards in their Division 1 category:
- J.T Buchheit and Matt Hampton took first place for In-Depth News Reporting.
- Kat Owens and Lindsey Fiala took first place for Feature Page.
- Walker Van Wey took first place in Sports Photography.
- Lindenlink.com staff won second place in Campus Engagement/Promotions.
- Yuki Nishibayashi took second place for Informative Graphic.
- Michelle Sproat took second place in Video.
- Madi Nolte received second place in Multimedia Package.
- Madeline Raineri took third place in Feature Writing.
- Ashley Higginbotham took third place in Investigative Reporting,
- Lindsey Fiala and Michelle Sproat took third place in Multimedia Package.
- Madeline Raineri received an honorable mention in News Photography,
- Essi Auguste Virtanen received honorable mention for In-Depth News Reporting,
- Madi Nolte received an honorable mention in News Photography.
- Carly Fristoe received an honorable mention in Sports Photography,
- Kat Owens received honorable mentions in Feature Page and Story Illustration.
“I’m especially proud of the awards we won this year because 12 different staff members were honored; we’re a strong team,” said Susan Weich, media adviser for Legacy Magazine and Lindenlink.com.
Other awards given out included Adviser of the Year, Photojournalist of the Year and Journalist of the year.
Robert Bergland of Missouri Western State University, Dylan Coldsmith of Northwest Missouri State University and Kara Hartnett of Southeast Missouri State University won in these categories respectively.
Next year the conference will be held at Missouri State in Springfield.