Flowers represents a dedication to a family

Michael Sprague The Legacy staff
Posted February 25 2014; 8:00 a.m.

Feature photo courtesy of Mary Ambler Archives, Lindenwood University.

This story is part of the “Names that built LU” weekly series issued by The Legacy that has been profiling 28 campus buildings named after Lindenwood personnel.

The dedication of Flowers Hall was among the new-age building dedications at LU. The building was dedicated to the Flowers family shortly after being built in 2003. Duane Flowers did not attend Lindenwood, neither joined the Lindenwood scene until the mid-90’s.

Board members Ben Blanton (left) and Duane Flowers (right) attend the 2012 Lou Brock Golf Classic. Photo courtesy of Mary Ambler Archives, Lindenwood University.

Flowers was named to the Lindenwood Board of Directors in May of 1995 along with Joseph Mathews and David Cosby. Entering the LU picture at the start of The Heritage Campaign, these men were a part of Lindenwood’s biggest expansion project that added The Spellmann Center, Blanton Hall and Guffey Hall.

Flowers earned his degree in business administration from Greenville College in Greenvillce, Ill., in 1965. He was the president of Bass-Mollett Inc., a printing company dedicated to funeral products.

The company operates out of Greenville, Ill., and the presidency of the company was recently turned over to the son of Duane, John Flowers. He and his wife Linda have a scholarship fund set up at LU. The couple are also members of the university’s Butler Society and the Heritage Society.

When a new round of dorms were built in the early 2000s, it was fitting that Mathews and Flowers both had their names donned on the buildings.

Flowers Hall
Flowers Hall

$575
$1000