Students granted free admission to award-winning ‘Selma’

Jason Wiese | Culture Editor
January 16, 2015; 12:30 p.m. 

Theaters across the U.S. are granting free admission of the film “Selma” to students as part of a national campaign led by African American business owners all across the country.

Students in the 7th through 9th grade will be admitted by showing a report card or students ID at participating locations. St. Louis theaters participating include Wehrenberg O’Fallon 15 Cine, AMC Creve Coeur 12, Moolah Theatre and Lounge and Regal St.Louis Stadium 18.

“Selma”, from director Ava DuVernay chronicles the struggles of Martin Luther King, Jr (David Oyelowo) as he leads a campaign to promote equal voting rights for black and white Americans by marching from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965. The film bested one of its four nominations at the Golden Globes last Sunday, which was awarded to musicians John Legend and Common for their original song “Glory.” The film is now one of the front runners for Best Picture at this year’s upcoming Academy Awards ceremony.

Teachers can reserve 25 or more tickets for their classrooms during the promotion at www.selmamovie.com/studenttickets while tickets last.

$575
$1000