History Club Conversations with the past

Romane Donadini | Staff Photographer
February 18, 2014; 10:45 a.m.

Out of the 51 events scheduled for Sibley Day 2015, History Club Conversations with the Past was the first one on the event schedule. From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., at the Butler Parlor, students attended various speeches delivered by historians and faculty members, as well as interacting with them.

The first speech of the day was given by the historian and associate professor Patrick J. O’Banion. His 39-minute speech was about the

Patrick O'Banion giving his speech.
Patrick O’Banion giving his speech.

Spanish secret jails. He explained that in order to be able to draw conclusions and make sense of past events, he had to go through every evidence and available materials.

“That’s what we do as historians, we work on our sources, we try to be critical about them,” O’Banion explained.

While speakers try to make the audience travel through time, thanks to their gestures and different ways of speaking, the latter takes notes and interact with them by asking questions.

One of the students attending the event explained, “I’m here because I am interested in history and in these debates.”

The event was organized by “VP” Nick Thoreson, and also managed by the History Club, led by president Michelle Kaykendall.

$575
$1000