Historical society celebrates 150 years since the Civil War

Photo by Anastasia Talalaeva
The Saint Charles Historical Society celebrates the 150th anniversary since the end of the Civil War
Photo by Anastasia Talalaeva The Saint Charles Historical Society celebrates the 150th anniversary since the end of the Civil War

Anastasia Talalaeva | Contributing Writer
Published April 23, 2015; 11:50 a.m.

The Saint Charles County Historical Society is celebrating a historical event. The 150th anniversary since the end of the Civil War. The event included a parade on a main street and the event was hosted at the grand opera house banquet center.

The event was held in St. Charles, which was a location of both Union and Confederate supporters during the Civil War. Organizers wanted to bring this particular time period alive, and try to understand how it was to live during that time

“Someone going to give an overview of the history of St. Charles during the Civil War. To wrap it all up we have a story teller, who is an African American lady, who is going to tell about their side of the story during the Civil War.” said Amy Alderaman, coordinator of Living History Gala.

County official Steve Ehlmann gave a speech about how the St. Charles County was affected during the civil war, and how it is important to remember about the bond between past and present.

Photo by Anastasia Talalaeva

“The problem with it, they know the history already. They are here to celebrate. One of the sponsors was disappointed didn’t had a bigger crowd. I said i think a crowd is fine, the problem is there are not enough young people.” said Steve Ehlmann.

The owner of the Grand Opera House supports St. Charles county historical society by hosting the living history gala event at his banquet center.

“I think it is great, the celebration of the history is an amazing thing. And if they are going to come and do what they are doing in full costumes. I think it is amazing not only for the city but for the whole region, it is a history and it is a living history.” said Greg Upchurch.

Owner of the grand opera house. The St. Charles County Historical Society plans to host more events like this to educate people about the region’s history.