5 things you didn’t know about Lindenwood


Phil Brahm | Lindenlink Managing Editor
Feb. 12, 2016; 12:30 p.m.

[su_heading size=”25″]Butler Library’s weather vane symbolizes learning at Lindenwood[/su_heading]

Lindenwood weathervane
Butler Library’s weathervane incorporates both a owl and a parrot.
Photo by Phil Brahm

Sitting atop the library’s tower, the weather vane has an owl and a parrot. The owl represents inductive thinking, while the parrot represents deductive thinking.

[su_heading size=”25″]Lindenwood has had a greenhouse on campus for 78 years[/su_heading]

Lindenwood greenhouse
The Monsanto Greenhouse is part of Young Hall on the historic side of campus.
Photo by Phil Brahm

Originally located near Sibley Hall, the university’s first greenhouse was built in 1937. It was moved to Young Hall in 1965 when the science building was constructed. In 2006, the greenhouse was renovated by Monsanto and renamed after the donor.

[su_heading size=”25″]Women’s basketball is believed to be the longest played sport at Lindenwood[/su_heading]

The Lindenwood women's basketball team
The women’s basketball celebrates after securing a win at the Hyland Areana during the 2014-15 season.
Photo by Carly Fristoe

Starting around 1943, the women’s basketball team began competing against other college programs. Lindenwood now has nearly 50 different athletic teams.

[su_heading size=”25″]In Lindenwood’s early years classes started at 5:15 a.m.[/su_heading]

Lindenwood Clock
A clock inside the Lindenwood journalism lab reads 5:15 a.m.
Photo by Phil Scherer

According to a letter written by an 1838 graduate, classes started at 5:15 a.m. Aside from breaks for prayers, breakfast and lunch, students spent the majority of the day attending to their studies.

[su_heading size=”25″]The Scheidegger Center used to be a drive-in movie theater[/su_heading]

Lindenwood University's Scheidegger Center
The Scheidegger Center is home to Lindenwood University’s performing arts.
Photo by Phil Brahm

Before Lindenwood’s performing arts center was opened in 2008, the land was once a drive-in movie theater. The $32 million facility is 138,000 square feet.

[su_divider top=”no” size=”1″ margin=”45″][su_divider top=”no”][su_divider top=””][/su_divider]

Information was provided by LU Archivist Paul Huffman