Students ask for charging stations

Devin King | News Editor
Feb. 19, 2016; 3:00 p.m.

Charging stations may appear on campus in the near future due to a Lindenwood’s Student Government Association (LSGA) proposal.

The bill, which was proposed freshman senator Madeline Pullen on Feb. 17, asks for multi-device charger stations on campus where students can charge their electronic devices.

“We need to start adapting to our needs of technology,” Pullen said.

The two different types of charging stations Pullen brought up in her proposal were charging stations that had USB ports built in so students don’t have to bring their chargers, and stations that had a variety of outlets so students would have to bring their chargers with them.

Photo by Devin King The outlets found around campus buildings are not enough, according to Madeline Pullen
Photo by Devin King
The outlets found around campus buildings are not enough, according to Madeline Pullen

LSGA representative for the Swing Dance Club Drew L’Ecuyer said that safety was a concern, and that people will be less likely to be in a situation where they need to call someone for help when their phone is dead.

“Even if you have to drive half an hour, you don’t know what can happen,” L’Ecuyer said. “It’s good to always be able to contact someone.”

Pullen, who is from Florida, said that there was a time when her phone was broken while she was on campus and could only contact her family through Facebook’s messenger. This situation, which she called “stressful,” made her realize the importance of mobile communication.

Pullen said the charging stations would be located at various locations across campus, but said she heard from students and said dorms was a popular location that students would enjoy charging stations.

In her proposal, she pointed out that other colleges, such as the University of Massachusetts, have charging stations on their campus.

“They’ve been called the new water coolers where students hang out,” Pullen said. “Not only would people be talking virtually [on their devices], but also in person.”

Not everyone was on board with the idea that technology might be used more frequently, including Amelia Fowler of Active Minds.

“I’m just worried that if we added these charging stations that we’ll be on our phones more often,” Fowler said. “It might be better for us to speak face to face.”

Katelyn Zatorski, the LSGA representative for Delta Zeta, said that the charging stations could help with academics.

“I know this kid who has problems with his hands, so he can’t use pencils,” Zatorski said. “So if he can’t use his laptop, then he’s kind of done for in class.”

Pullen brought up the power station manufacture Power Tower. She could not give a definitive answer for how much money it would cost “since it is only up to the board of directors,”.

The proposal will be voted on at LSGA’s next meeting on Feb. 24.

[su_divider top=”no” size=”4″ margin=”45″][ezcol_1half] Butler Library[/su_divider]

Correction: A version of the article published on Feb. 19 inaccurately stated the price of Power Tower’s charging stations. Power Tower does not publicly list the price of their products on their website. Prices can be obtained by contacting the company directly.