“Bobby Fischer” Movie Night

By Olivia Petitt | Lindenlink Contributor

Dang, you missed it!

Slavic liquor, Peking duck and round house kicks—all part of a spirited evening in Young Auditorium last Friday night.

On Sept. 14 and 15, Lindenwood Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis (CCSCSL) partnered to present two films about the triumphant and tragic life of chess god, Bobby Fischer.

Friday night drew an enthusiastic group of chess players, movie lovers, and notable folk from the chess world. Yasser Seirawan, four time U.S. Champion, Grandmaster, and head of coach of Lindenwood’s newly-formed chess team, provided a pre-screening chat.

Seirawan spoke candidly about his childhood, describing himself as a precocious youngster who doubted Bobby Fischer (or anyone else) could rightly claim the title of World Chess Champion without playing against every chess player in the world—including him.

Serendipitously, Seirawan crossed paths with the famous Bobby Fischer during one of Fischer’s brief reprieves from utter seclusion. The two bonded while analyzing Fischer’s epic 1972 match with Spassky, dancing to Motown records and gorging on a luxurious Chinese feast featuring the aforementioned Peking duck.

The discussion was followed by “Bobby Fischer Against The World” (2011), a documentary chronicling Fischer’s life through a rich collection of interviews from chess icons that knew him, studied him, or were simply inspired by his genius.

Personal anecdotes and gripping historical commentary richly illustrated Fischer’s rise to prominence, dive into maddening isolation, reluctant reemergence, and bitter ending.

Up until now, I’ve played (and lost) about three chess games. Though I got a bit lost when all the rook and bishop talk started, I completely enjoyed myself—and learned never to move my pawn on the first move.

Sad you missed all the fun? Don’t worry. There’s a slate of fabulous Andy Warhol-themed films this weekend. It’s all in Young Hall, projected on a gigantic HD screen with Dolby surround sound. For more information, go to: www.lindenwood.edu/film.

$575
$1000