Graphic design students wrap up semester with final capstones

[su_divider top=”no” size=”4″ margin=”45″]Emily Miller[/su_divider]

Brad Cieslewicz | LUTV
May 10, 2016; 4 p.m.

Graphic Design students had all semester to think of different ways to expose their creativity. I talked with two students who each have their own walls set up as part of their design.

Kelsey Conrad is finishing up her last year at Lindenwood and has a different aspect when it comes to nature and wanted to incorporate that in her thesis.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.27.28 AM
Conrad used several different elements of nature for her capstone. One portion of her project included prints that were made using leaves, tree bark and other natural materials.
Photo by Brad Cieslewicz

“I saw different things in nature that not many people see,” Conrad said. “We take all these different things for granted and I wanted to showcase all those different elements that people look by everyday.”

Students have been putting together their capstones deadline by deadline throughout the semester.

“When I had all my data collected from my studies and the inside of my exhibition design I created different compositions to bring it all together,” Conrad said. “The hardest part was figuring out about the logistics of how I was going to compose the exhibition design.”

Natalie Johnson chose a completely different route for her exhibition.

“My exhibition studies the stages of memory which goes through encoding, storage and retrieval,” Johnson said. “I wanted to explore that realm of how we remember things.

“I wanted to do an installation piece and an interactive piece that really explores more than just visuals abut sounds and touch and feel and exploring the different senses that we have.”

Johnson’s third station incorporated a projector and two iPads.

“Things are kind of blurry or not so it’s very ambient and very mesmerizing when you think of your mind in different textures and layers and the sentry layers are so complex,” Johnson said.

“One of the hardest parts as a capstone class was where they would showcase their work and hold a reception,” Conrad said. “We didn’t necessarily want to have it in the Scheidegger Center, but with it being our last choice, we made the best of it and it was probably one of the best decisions we’ve ever made.

Over 50 people showed up for the reception last Thursday and Conrad says everyone was impressed. Both Conrad’s “Branches” and Johnson’s “Process of Memory” will have their work on display for the public in the Schedigger Center until Friday.