Blood drive goal is 70 pints

A blood drive will continue Wednesday in Evans Commons.
File photo.
A blood drive will continue Wednesday in Evans Commons. File photo.

Nick Stone | Reporter
Oct. 18, 2016; 7 a.m.

blood-drive
A blood drive held at the Evans Commons Courts during Sibley Day 2016.
Photo from Legacy archives

The annual homecoming blood drive has set a goal of 70 donations from Lindenwood students, staff  and alumni.

The drive will take place from noon to 5 p.m. on Thursday on the Evans Commons courts. It has become an annual homecoming tradition. Last year, about 40 people donated blood.

Alpha Phi Omega, a service-based fraternity on campus, has been helping run the event.

“Giving blood is easy and helps the local community in a big way,” said Christina Vogt, the president of Alpha Phi Omega.

Students who wish to donate can simply go to the courts and register the day of the event. Some of the requirements for donors include that they can only give blood once every 56 days and must meet certain height and weight requirements.

“Donating blood is one of the best things you can do to help people in need,” said Grant Krull, a sophomore who is helping run the drive this year.  

For those who are afraid of giving blood, Krull said that donating takes less than an hour, and one pint can save up to three lives because several types of transfusable products can be derived from whole blood and these can potentially help more than one person.

According to the Red Cross, a blood shortage exists, and with the recent hurricane in Florida, the Red Cross is expecting that the need of blood will dramatically increase over the next few weeks.