Lindenwood international business professor to lecture in Bhutan

Dr. Shelly Daly

Essi Virtanen | News Editor
Oct. 19, 2016; 3 p.m.

An international business professor will go to a university in Bhutan, in Southern Asia, to lecture as a Fulbright Scholar during the spring 2017 semester, according to the Lindenwood University press release.

Dr. Shelly Daly, who has been a professor at Lindenwood for six years, will lecture at the Royal University of Bhutan on the areas of global business and regional development in South and Central Asia. She will have lectures there for the entire spring semester.

Daly will be one of the handful of other Lindenwood academics to participate in the program including Vice President of Student Development Ryan Guffey and Director of Center for International and Global Studies Dr. Ray Scupin.

According to the release from the Fulbright association, 1,200 U.S. Citizens will teach, conduct research and provide expertise in the 2016-17 academic year through the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, which is a program of the U.S. Department of State. It was an 11-month process for Daly to put her application together and an additional six months after submission that she received a notification of her acceptance to the program. Recipients are selected based on their academic and professional achievements as well as a record of service and demonstrated leadership in their fields.

Daly said only 21 Fulbright scholars are going to South and Central Asia in 2016-17. She is one of the six scholars to go to Bhutan, and the only one in the discipline on business. She said after multiple years of work experience in Eastern Europe in academia and as a business consultant, the assignment will allow her to gain a new perspective in her field.

“My area of interest is in emerging markets and developing economies,” Daly said in the press release. “This is an opportunity to learn a completely different approach than what I am used to from Eastern Europe. In international business, it is important to keep in touch with what’s going on in different regions.”

Ultimately, the experience will also benefit her students and Lindenwood University.

“This gives me an opportunity to show students an aspect of South and Central Asia they won’t be able to get at any other school,” Daley said. “There is value in what I can bring back to the students, many of which haven’t been out of the Midwest.”