Kindergarten Dinner gives back to kids

Tri Sigma members Paige Hirtz, Lydia Stewart, Olivia Stedman, Emily Saulnier, and Maggie Wiltse pose in front of the dinosaur-themed backdrop with photo booth props.
Photo by Madi Nolte
Members of Tri Sigma sorority serve food to the guests at their Kindergarten Dinner fundraiser on Thursday evening in the fourth floor of Spellmann Center.
Members of Tri Sigma sorority serve food to the guests at their Kindergarten Dinner fundraiser on Thursday evening on the fourth floor of Spellmann Center.
Photo by Madi Nolte

Madi Nolte | Reporter
Nov. 4, 2016; 8 p.m.

Tri Sigma raised over $1,300 for its national philanthropy at their third annual Kindergarten Dinner fundraiser, held on Thursday evening in the Anheuser-Busch Leadership Room.

Offering meals for $5, the sorority served foods popular among kindergarten-aged children. The menu for the evening included dinosaur chicken nuggets, grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, mini pigs in a blanket, popsicles, and juice boxes. Dinosaur-themed t-shirts and raffle tickets for various gift cards to local restaurants were also sold to raise money.

“We had a great turnout,” Ivy Tinnin, Tri Sigma philanthropy and volunteer co-chair, said. “I’m very proud of our organization for putting together such a great event.”

Tri Sigma members Paige Hirtz, Lydia Stewart, Olivia Stedman, Emily Saulnier, and Maggie Wiltse pose in front of the dinosaur-themed backdrop with photo booth props.  Photo by Madi Nolte
Photo by Madi Nolte

The Tri Sigma Foundation, which supports March of Dimes is the sorority’s philanthropy. The organization also funds play therapy for children, especially for those who remain in the hospital for extended periods of time. Part of the proceeds raised at the event will be used to support play therapy in local hospitals.

To connect the theme of the event to the philanthropy’s cause, the room was decorated with toy dinosaurs, dinosaur balloons, and colorful tablecloths. Several tables were covered with white paper and had crayons sitting out, giving those attending the chance to draw while they ate and visited. A Sigma Sigma Sigma dinosaur backdrop, along with a table full of dinosaur masks and other fun props were set up in the room, giving guests the chance to take silly “photo booth” style pictures.

Tinnin says there is definitely room to grow and that the sorority hopes to have an even bigger turnout next year.