Wintry mix can lead to unsafe road conditions

A snow storm that swept through St. Charles in February 2016 cancelled several classes at Lindenwood.
Photo by Phil Brahm

Winter conditions can be unpredictable, and recent frigid temperatures serve as a reminder that Lindenwood University students need to be prepared, campus security officials said.

While driving on campus, Lindenwood security recommends paying attention to road conditions and using caution.

winter-car-safety-kit
Graphic by Michelle Sproat

“When there is a little bit of snow or ice or water on the ground, it will freeze up and cause black ice,” said John Bowman, Lindenwood’s Director of Public Safety and Security. “Take extra time to get places. Be prepared to take an extra 10 to 15 minutes to get to your location safely.”

If a student finds that his or her car doesn’t start on campus, security can provide assistance.

“Security can bring jump boxes over to attempt to start their car,” Bowman said. “If that doesn’t work, we can help them contact a tow-truck company.” 

During periods of heavy snow, students may find their cars stuck. If this happens, Bowman said that security can bring a shovel to dig out.

While driving during the winter, Bowman recommends that students keep supplies in their car in case they are stranded in harsh conditions.

“It’s always good to have a blanket, water bottles, snacks and a phone charger in your car,” Bowman said. “It might also be helpful to leave a shovel in the trunk.”

Security and groundskeeping work together to ensure that roads and parking lots on campus are safe for driving.

Security can be reached 24/7 at 636-949-4911.