Lindenwood cancels classes, most events due to ice storm pelting metro area

A cloudy day at Lindenwood in St. Charles

Freezing rain and icy road conditions have forced Lindenwood officials to cancel classes at both its St. Charles and Belleville campuses.

A RAVE alert announcing the cancellations was sent to all Lindenwood students and faculty at 8:31 p.m. on Thursday. The message also stated that only “essential employees” should report to work and students should check Canvas for potential assignments.

“We are reluctant to cancel classes unless it is absolutely necessary,” said Lindenwood provost Marilyn Abbott. “Given the fact that the sleet began much earlier than predicted, I think it was the right call.”

Abbott stated that she last remembers Lindenwood having a full snow day during a J-term when former president James Evans was still at the university. Evans retired in May 2015.

The hazardous conditions are a result of winter storm Jupiter, which is currently producing freezing rain, sleet and snow across the Midwest. An ice storm warning remained in effect for St. Charles County until Sunday at noon.

Melissa Byrd, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Weldon Spring, said Friday that the area will see freezing rain accumulations of a quarter-inch to a half-inch before the precipitation ends on Sunday. Byrd said that the temperatures will be above freezing by noon on Sunday.

In preparation for the storm, the university’s housing department sent an email outlining emergency procedures to students living in various dorms on campus. According to the email, residents should report to the lounge of their dorm if they lose power. If power cannot be restored, residents may be relocated temporarily.

Several events on campus also have been canceled as a result of the weather. Ethan Miller, the graduate adviser for Lindenwood’s Campus Activities Board, confirmed that Fondue Friday and the Lindenwood Lion Warrior event have been canceled. Several athletic events throughout the weekend also have been canceled or postponed, according to the Lindenwood Athletics Twitter account.

Share your photos and videos of the storm with us using the hashtag #LUIceStorm2017 for a chance to be featured on our website.