Women’s soccer drops game in double overtime

Sophomore Jamie Rozzell takes the ball downfield during the Sept. 22 game against Northwest Missouri.
Photo by Maria Escalano

ANDREW HONERKAMP | Online Editor

The Lindenwood Lady Lions soccer team lost 2-1 Friday night against the Northwest Missouri State Bearcats in Harlen C. Hunter Stadium. 

The Lions seemed to control most of the play in the first half, but the Bearcats got on the board first with a terrific chip-shot goal over the head of goalkeeper Mary McGilvray from 22 yards out. 

“I thought we had a good amount of possession and moved the ball well,” women’s head soccer coach Laurie Kaminski said. “We need to be more willing to shoot and challenge their keeper. You can’t score if you don’t shoot.”  

The Lions would tie the game early in the second half after Becky Roberts came down the left side and her shot was put in off the rebound by Morgan Weller.

That would be all the scoring after 90 minutes, so the game would head into overtime.

Northwest Missouri would break the tie in the 108th minute of the game to capture the 2-1 victory. 

The Lions fall to 3-4 on the season and will look to get back into the win column with a 4 p.m. game against No. 23-ranked Missouri Western on Sunday at Hunter Stadium.

“It’s a quick turnaround; Missouri Western is a good side,” Kaminski said. “We just have to go play hard tomorrow.”