Lions defeat No. 16 Upper Iowa University and get first MIAA win of the season

In a file photo from 2017, Jose de Val Lopez, number 18, defends the goal against Upper Iowa University.
Photo by Rolando Dupuy.

KYLE RHINE | Reporter

The Lions defeated Upper Iowa University 2-1 on Sunday in the team’s first MIAA game of the season.

With this win, Lindenwood is now 3-3 and Upper State Iowa is 4-2.

Michele Ganz scored the opening goal for the Lions after he converted a penalty kick in the 57th minute. This is the fourth goal of the season for Ganz.

The Lions scored their second goal in the 67th minute by a strike from junior Steven Lilako. It was his first goal of the season and the first goal of his collegiate career. The assist come from senior Ryan Butchart.

Goalie Tim Licht held the Peacocks until rival player Italo Martins Soares scored from 25 yards out in the 89th minute, making his second goal of the season for Upper Iowa University. Licht had two saves for Lindenwood.

The Lions had 22 total shots with 8 on goal and the Peacocks had 5 total shots with three on goal, according to Lindenwood Athletics.

“We played very well today and created plenty of chances,” Midfielder Johannes Brendle said. “It was good teamwork, especially with the heat. The only thing we could have done better is scoring more goals.”

Lindenwood’s next game will be against Ouachita Baptist University on Sept. 27 at Harlen C. Hunter Stadium. These teams met on Sept. 15 and Lindenwood won by the score of 3-1.

After Ouachita Baptist University, the Lion’s will have back-to-back MIAA matchups, first with Northeastern State University and then with Southwest Baptist University.