Men’s soccer defeats Delta State 2-0

Michele Ganz, No. 22, dribbles down the field in 2-0 win over Delta State.
Photo by Kyle Rhine

KYLE RHINE Reporter

The Lindenwood men’s soccer team shut out Delta State by the score of 2-0 on Wednesday afternoon from Harlen C. Hunter Stadium.

Coach Carl Hutter was pleased with the way the team responded after the tough loss on Sunday to Fort Hays State.

“It is great to win anytime,” Hutter said. “We let a very important game slip away from us on Sunday, and that is already past us now. We have to move on, and hopefully we learned something from it.” 

Michele Ganz scored on a header in the 11th minute of the match on a cross from Joshua Scholl, giving the Lions the early advantage. Ganz now has 10 goals on the season which leads the MIAA Conference, with four goals coming in the last four games.

The freshman became just the third Lindenwood player to reach double-digit goals in a season during Lindenwood’s NCAA era.

“There is virtue in work, and there is virtue in rest,” Ganz said.

Lindenwood would score its second goal of the game in the 58th minute on a shot by Scholl. This is Scholl’s first goal on the season and of his collegiate career. Ganz was credited with the assist on the play.

The Lions outshot Delta State 11-9 in the game including four shots on target compared to the Statesmen’s two according to Lindenwood Athletics.

Tim Licht was strong in goal for the Lions, earning his second shut-out on the season and registering two saves in the victory.

Two Lions received yellow cards in the game. Finn Knebusch was issued a yellow card in the 22nd minute and Jeremy Tutas was issued one in the 70th minute.

With this win, Lindenwood is now 7-5 on the season, and its next game will be at 11 a.m. on October 15 against conference opponent Upper Iowa University in Fayette, Iowa. Last time these teams met was on Sept. 24, and the Lions edged the Peacocks 2-1.