Former Lindenwood athlete shot to death in St. Louis

A+student+was+found+dead+Monday+night+in+her+dorm+room+at+Calvert+Rogers+Hall.+Photo+from+Pexels.com.+
Photo by Jacob Morch
A student was found dead Monday night in her dorm room at Calvert Rogers Hall.
Photo from Pexels.com.

SCOTT MANDZIARA | Sports Editor 

Former Lindenwood football player and sprinter Jaz Granderson was found shot to death near I-55 in the city of St. Louis on Monday.

According to the St. Louis Police Department, Granderson, 27, had been injured by a gunshot in downtown St. Louis. A witness reportedly heard gunfire in the area of the 5100 block of Minnesota Avenue before 1 a.m. Witnesses heard a vehicle leaving at a high rate of speed. Granderson was found lying there wounded and unconscious and was then taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.   

Jaz Granderson

While at Lindenwood, Granderson was a defensive back for the football team during the 2012 season. According to Lindenwood Athletics, Granderson was a two-time all conference selection at Kirkwood High School. In the spring of his senior year, Granderson was also a sprinter for Lindenwood.

Granderson was most recently employed as an assistant football coach at Desmet High School in Creve Coeur. 

“The Lindenwood Athletics department is saddened to hear about the death of Jaz Granderson,” Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Brad Wachler said. “Granderson was a key starter on defense for our 2012 football team and helped that team reach the postseason. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.” 

The story was updated at 3:28 p.m. on Oct. 17 to include comments from Newton.

Athletics Communications Director Daniel Newton said football coach Jed Stugart had had conversations with several former players, including Granderson, about helping with his staff before the start of this season.

“Jaz was one of those former players he spoke with, but they were not able to finalize an agreement for him to join the program,” Newton said. 

Check back in for updates.