Opinion: Thanksgiving is the best holiday

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year. Gather together with family and friends to celebrate the many things there are to be thankful for.
Photo from pexels.com

KEARSTIN CANTRELL | Opinions Editor

Thanksgiving is a glorious occasion. Unlike some holidays, there’s nothing to hate and everything to love about Turkey Day. If you don’t believe me, read on for eight reasons Thanksgiving is absolutely the best holiday.

Family time

Thanksgiving is a time in my family where everyone comes together for some serious quality time. We set aside the stressors of life and do our best to just enjoy one another’s company. For a lot of families in the United States, that kind of family time doesn’t come often. However, Thanksgiving is a great time to come together.

For some families, getting together can be a difficult task. Thanksgiving is a great time to visit loved ones.
Photo from pexels.com

Friendsgiving

Thanksgiving also offers that get-together opportunity to people outside of the family. While during some holidays it seems like crime to see anyone but your biological family, with Thanksgiving you’re “allowed” to spend time with whomever you choose, whether they be family by blood or family by heart.

Thanksgiving is a great time to visit friends from your hometown or spend the holiday together exclusively.
Photo from pexels.com

Grandma’s home cookin’ 

Let’s be honest here. We all love our family and friends, but we’re really here for the one time a year when it’s socially acceptable to gorge yourself with delicious food. Not to mention that oftentimes, those Thanksgiving delicacies only show up on that one day a year.

There’s no doubt that the food at Thanksgiving plays a part in why it’s the best holiday.
Photo from pexels.com

Naptime

And after that gorge-fest, we’re allowed to hit the pillow. What other holiday allows you to take a nap on grandma’s living room floor? That’s what I thought.

There’s nothing like curling up with a blanket and a pillow after the Thanksgiving meal.
Photo from pexels.com

Leftovers

If your family is anything like mine, I’m sure there’s enough food to feed an army even though there are only 15 people at dinner. And that’s why God created Tupperware. There’s nothing quite like waking up the day after Thanksgiving and waddling to the fridge for a piece of ham to eat for breakfast.

There’s a reason that I keep plastic food containers in my purse for the holiday season. You should too.
Photo from flickr.com

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

What is it about watching giant character balloons that awakens the child in me? Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit like watching pop stars like sync tunes from atop a monstrous float or seeing Santa close out the parade.

Watching giant balloons parade down the street is only one of many reasons to love Thanksgiving.
Photo from flickr.com

Football

If the turkey doesn’t pull your family together, football will. Thanksgiving football has a way of unifying a family, or tearing it apart if your favorite team and your cousin’s are playing each other. Either way, watching Thanksgiving football as a family is a time of bonding.

If there’s anything to argue about on Thanksgiving, it’s football. Good thing there’s nothing wrong with a little competition.
Photo from pexels.com

It’s a time to be thankful

I know, I know, that one’s obvious. But it’s also the largest part of why Thanksgiving is the best holiday. We’re thankful that the Native Americans taught the pilgrims how to grow corn. But we also have a thousand other things to be thankful for. Whether Thanksgiving is your favorite holiday or not, take some time to be thankful this year. Look around you and count your blessings.

Above all else, give thanks this year. There’s a lot to be grateful for.
Photo from publicdomainpictures.net

View Comments (1)
$575
$1000