Women’s basketball loses close battle with Missouri Southern

Gabby Walker, No. 20, looks to pass in Lions’ 77-68 win over McKendree back on Nov. 28. Walker registered 20 points in the loss on Saturday.
Photo by Walker Van Wey

KYLE RHINE | Reporter

The women’s basketball team lost its second consecutive game as the Lions fell 78-75 to Missouri Southern Saturday afternoon in Joplin, Missouri.

Missouri Southern hit a game-winning three-pointer with four seconds left on the clock to give Lindenwood its second loss on the season.

At halftime, Lindenwood led Missouri Southern 39-35 with sophomore Gabby Walker shooting a perfect 7-7 from the field tallying 15 points in the first half. Coming off the bench, Walker finished the game with 20 points and seven rebounds.

The Lions had an eight-point lead going into the fourth quarter, but were outscored 23-11 by Missouri Southern in the fourth. 

The missed free throws down the stretch hurt the Lions in this game. Lindenwood shot 58.3 percent from the free-throw line as they only hit 14/24 of their free throws. Missouri Southern was clinical from the charity stripe hitting 27/30 of its free throws.

Lindenwood shot a higher percentage from the field shooting 51.8 percent, while Missouri Southern shot 48.9 percent from the field.

Despite shooting at a high percentage from the three-point line in Thursday’s loss against Pittsburg State, the Lions struggled from beyond the arc Saturday as they only managed to make 23.1 percent of their three-point attempts, while Missouri Southern went 7/18 from three-point range for 38.9 percent.

Sophomore Lindsay Medlen finished the game with 10 points and five assists while sophomore Kallie Bildner tallied 11 points and eight rebounds.

“We’ve got a taste of what the MIAA is like these past two games,” Bildner said. “Now we must learn from it, make some adjustments and be ready to get after it against Washburn and Emporia next weekend.”

Lindenwood’s next matchup will be against conference opponent Washburn University at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 16 from Hyland Arena.