Lindenwood squanders fourth-quarter lead over Davenport

Deantrell Prince has a career day as he makes one of his team-leading 10 receptions and 175 yards receiving.
Photo by Lindenwood Athletics

CALEB RIORDAN | Reporter

The Lindenwood football team jumped out to a hot start on Saturday afternoon but soon lost the lead to lose their third game of the season in Michigan.

Junior Lloyd Lockett stole possession from the Panthers on its second drive with an interception. The interception led to a six-play drive that ended with a touchdown pass from sophomore Cade Brister to Payton Rose. The two connected three times on the drive.

The Lions scored on its next drive by way of a one-yard touchdown from sophomore running back Dalton Grohler. The touchdown extended the Lions lead to 14. 

The Panthers started to figure things out in the second quarter. The Lions defense held strong on a first-and-goal possession by the Panthers in which they forced a field goal.

The Panthers were able to find the end zone on a 20-yard touchdown pass later in the quarter and Lindenwood was unable to score. The Lions were ahead 14-10 at the half. 

The Lions started out the second half almost as quick as the first. A 75-yard drive that ended in a 2-yard touchdown run from Brister was the Lions’ first possession of the half. These were the only points scored by either side in the quarter.

Lindenwood supported a 21-10 lead at the start of the fourth quarter. 

The Panthers started the fourth-quarter comeback with a field goal that trimmed the lead 21-13. A 3-and-out on Lindenwood’s next drive led to a two-play 58-yard touchdown drive from the Panthers. Davenports capitalized on the 2-point conversion and tied the game at 21. 

The Lions ran about four minutes off the clock on the next drive, which ended in a field goal that gave the Lions the lead back, 24-21. Davenport then led another short drive, 3 plays and 61 yards, which ended in a touchdown to grab the lead for the first time in the contest, 28-24.

The Lions faced a fourth-and-long on its next drive. Brister threw up a prayer after the Panthers put some pressure, which resulted in an interception ran back for a touchdown. The pick-six all but sealed the Lions’ fate. The Lions lost 35-24.

The loss puts the Lions record at 1-3. This was not a Great Lakes Valley
Conference match. The Lions are still 1-0 in the conference. 

Brister finished with 164 passing yards, 1 touchdown and three interceptions. He also found the end zone once with his feet. Rose finished with 4 catches for 81 yards and a caught Brister’s only touchdown.

Juniors Drew Seers and Grady Daniels led the Lions defense in tackles with seven each. Jordan Perry grabbed an interception to go along with Lockett’s. 

Next, the Lions will travel to Lebanon, Illinois, to take on McKendree and continue GLVC play.  Kickoff is Saturday, Oct. 5 at 1 p.m.