For the poor college students on campus taking summer courses, here’s a list of my top five things to do in and around the St.Louis area:
1. My first and favorite thing is buying cheap seats at the Cardinals game. More than a few times I have ventured to the nearest MetroLink (public transit) and hitched a ride to downtown St. Louis to the Cardinals home, Busch Stadium. This is a cheap idea for a fun few hours on hot summer nights. Bleacher seats go for under $10 a lot of weekday games. Just visit stubhub.com to find good seats even cheaper.
2. My second favorite thing to do is just west of campus off I-70 on Veterans Memorial Parkway, called Swing Around Fun
Town. Enjoy a night in the batting cages, play miniature golf for under $10 or drive a go-kart. Take West Clay from campus, cross I-70 on Zumbehl, then right on Veterans Memorial to 3541. It’s a great activity that’s inexpensive and allows a little physical activity. Swing Around Fun Town also is located in Fenton, west of I-270 at highways 30 and 141.
3. Creve Coeur Park bike and boat rentals is next, across the Missouri River to the Maryland Heights Expressway in Earth City, south from I-70 almost to Highway 364, the Page Avenue extention. A four-mile track wraps around the lake at the park, providing many scenic views as well as challenging yet fun boating and biking. Rental options include a single person bike or a cart bike that can seat up to five. Canoe and kayak rentals are under $20.
4. Next is the Whapelhorst Pool at 1875 Muegge Road in St. Charles. Slides and other water park features make this public pool a must, along with a snack bar that is reasonably priced. The set-up is great for spending all day for only $5 per person.
5. Most popular and best of all is the St.Louis Zoo. The amazing animals and awesome landscaping, all for FREE, make a morning or afternoon stroll around the Zoo a joy for the poor college student. And the Zoo is surrounded by Forest Park, which offers other activities such as The Muny, Jewel Box, History Museum, golf, tennis and paddle boat rental.
So summer school at Lindenwood offers plenty beyond the beautiful St. Charles campus, whether a place to take a friend or date for a fun getaway from books and the classroom.