Men’s Soccer Keeps Winning Streak Alive

Natalie Ruiz | Lindenlink Staff

Alejandro Casas (left) and Zach Venvertloh (right) waiting for a corner kick from Ignacio Pizzaro (LU) during the second half.
Craig McTear
Craig McTear (white) first half LU vs. Quincy.

The LU Lions maintained a perfect 5-0 record Tuesday night, Sept. 17, when they defeated the Quincy(Ill.) University Hawks, 3-2 , at Hunters Stadium.

The Hawks struck first when Ethan Venvertloh  scored in the first four minutes. The Lions tied the match about four minutes later when midfielder Alfredo Paez connected on his first goal of the season.

LU took the lead with 19 minutes left in the first half on a goal by forward Mauricio Medina, and they added to their lead about 19 minutes into the second half when defender Axel Duarte scored on a header. Quincy’s Jordan Roberts cut the lead to one with about three minutes left in the game, but the Lions held on to take the non-conference game.

The match, played on a field dampened by rain earlier in the day, was a physical contest that was interrupted midway through the second half when both benches emptied after an altercation between a couple of players. The commotion ended peacefully without any penalties, and play resumed without further incident.

Mauricio Medina, forward who scored during the first half of the game.

$575
$1000