MERLINA SAN NICOLAS LEYVA | Reporter
The first Lindenwood Student Life Sports Show honored the top collegiate non-NCAA athletes was held Wednesday in The Lindenwood Theater in the Scheidegger Center.
There were nine different categories, from male and female athlete of the year to the Lion Iron category, which awarded the most dedicated student-athlete who demonstrated leadership in the weight room.
The “show stopping moment” category awarded those teams and athletes that had key moments in competition.
Coaches and supporting staff were also awarded with Coach of the Year and Supporting Staff of the Year.
As a team, the women’s rugby team won two awards: Team of the Year and Show Stopping Moment for their victory over Life University after trailing 14 points in the first half.
Selena Tuilapea won the Lion Pride award while McKenzie Hawkins took home the Lion Iron award.
Ice Hockey was the other sport to take home three awards: Newcomer of the Year for Ryan Finnegan and Michael Schrader took the Lion Iron. Jake Townsend took the decorated Athlete of the Year award.
Julia Stallings from Shotgun sports took home Athlete of the Year.
List of nominees and winners:
Newcome of the Year
- Ryan Finnegan (Ice Hockey)** winner
- Vuk Budrak (Water Polo)
- Marcos Bribiesca (Weightlifting
- Morgan Freeman (Rugby)** winner
- Lindsey Papper (Synchro Swim.)
- Hope Benavidez
Support Staff of the Year
- Maddie Bohr
- Michael Elam** winner
- Steve Wolk
Best in Supporting Role
- Sean Viti (Ice Hockey)
- Nathan Schoonover (Cycling)** winner
- Logan Kemp (bowling)
- Selma Kuduzovic (Dance)** winner
- Madison Alvarado (wrestling)
- Cloey Connelly (Cheer)
- Callum Holloway (cycling)
- Tyler Watson (Roller Hockey)
- Michael Schrader (Ice Hockey)** winner
- Alexis Altamira (wrestling)
- McKenzie Hawkins (rugby)** winner
- Juleigh Furry (cheer)
- Wesley White (rugby)** winner
- Nam Nguyen
- Matt DeJesus (cheer)
- Abby VerMeer (Water Polo)
- Tori Burlison (Lionettes)
- Selena Tuilapea (rugby)** winner
Coaching Staff of the Year:
- Women’s Rugby
- Water Polo** winner
Show Stopping Moment:
- Billiards: Taylor Hansen and Andreas Madsen winnin Men’s and Women’s Collegiate 9-Ball Championships.
- Men’s Water Polo: beat Arnau Bayer at the National Championships.
- Women’s Rugby: Victory over Life University at the 15’s National Championship.** winner
Team of the Year:
- Cheerleading Program
- Women’s Rugby** winner
- Women’s Bowling
Athlete of the Year (Male):
- Matthew Montgomery (Weightlifting)
- Andreja Babic (Water Polo)
- Jake Townsend (Men’s Ice Hockey)** winner
- Michael DeWaal (rugby)
Athlete of the Year (Female):
- Mabree Champion (Cheer)
- Rachel Schwartz (Weightlifting)
- Julia Stallings (Shotgun)** winner
- Haley Cummings (Bowling)