FPA shows HS art

Talia Scatliff | Staff Reporter

“Young Artists and Their Teachers” will be on display Nov. 20-Dec. 11 in the beautiful and spacious Boyle Family Gallery located in the J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts.

“The Young Artists and Their Teachers” exhibition is an annual exhibition that showcases some of the best artwork done by junior and senior high school students in the region.

“We invite high schools all over the region to participate in this exhibition,” said John Troy, chair of the Art Department at Lindenwood.

High school art teachers go through the many pieces of artwork done by their students in many different areas of art media to choose the pieces to be presented in the gallery. Students may only enter one item unless they have other items in a different art category or discipline. The art teachers themselves are also given the opportunity at this exhibition to showcase their art.

“That is how the title comes about. We feel that it is very important for teachers of art to be working artists themselves,” Troy said. “We encourage high school art faculty to continue creating their own art book and to show it in a professional venue such as the Boyle Family Gallery.”

Different disciplines of art that will be showcased include painting, sculpture, ceramics, graphic design, printmaking, drawing and photography. The art faculty at Lindenwood will choose first, second and third place winners in each discipline and will announce them at an opening reception which will be on Sunday, Nov. 20, from 12-2 p.m. The awards ceremony will be at 1 p.m.

“The whole Lindenwood community is invited to attend all of our openings,” Troy said.

The Boyle Family Gallery is open Mon. through Sat. 12-9 p.m.

$575
$1000