Review: Sleeping with Sirens are ‘legends after all’ with new album

Sleeping+with+Sirens+at+The+Ready+Room+in+St.+Louis+on+Sept.+7%2C+2017.++Photo+by+Megan+Courtney+
Sleeping with Sirens at The Ready Room in St. Louis on Sept. 7, 2017.
Photo by Megan Courtney

MEGAN COURTNEY | Reporter

“Pop” and “rock” are some of the words to describe Sleeping with Sirens’ new album, “Gossip,” which was released by Warner Bros. Records on Sept 22. 

The album, which is a follow-up from its 2015 record, “Madness,” has a very different feel from records that have been released in the past.

Songs like “Hole In My Heart,” “Gossip” and “Legends” are some of the prime examples of how the album has a more “poppy” feel.

Since the band got its start in 2009, its music has become increasingly more post-hardcore, dropping the screams and heavy bass lines for more clean vocals and fast-paced pop-sounding songs. “If I’m James Dean, You’re Audrey Hepburn,” has caused mixed reactions from fans because they aren’t used to hearing more pop music from the band. 

“The album in general is different from when I first discovered them in 2009,”  said Samantha Kimball, who attended Sleeping with Sirens’ concert at the Ready Room in St. Louis on Sept. 7. “I respect them for changing their sound. It’s a good album; it’s just going to take me awhile to get used to.” 

At the concert, the crowd sang along and even crowd-surfed when the band sang new songs “Legends” and “Empire to Ashes,” and screamed in excitement when the lead singer of the band, Kellin Quinn, asked if they were ready for “Gossip” to make its way to shelves everywhere.

Regardless of sound, Quinn has a unique voice that sets the band apart from others, which is what makes Sleeping with Sirens so intriguing.

All in all, the album itself is not terrible by any means; it just explores a different genre than what it has done in the past.