Duree Center hosts robot-building event for Boy Scouts

Lindenwood’s Duree Center partnered with The Boy Scouts of America to teach students the basics of robotics and allowed for all students to build their own solar-powered robots.
Photo by Lindsey Fiala

LINDSEY FIALA | Online Editor

Robot parts, excited Boy Scouts and mad scientists filled the rooms of Harmon Hall Saturday morning during the “Radical Robots” event.

This event was hosted by The Duree Center for Entrepreneurship at Lindenwood to allow students from the Boy Scouts of America, Greater St. Louis Area Council to learn basic robotics by building and testing their very own robots. 

Both kids and parents worked together to pull apart the various pieces to combine them to create a solar-powered, functioning robot. Each robot had four different possibilities of what it could turn into. 

There were five rooms set up throughout Harmon hall, where mad scientists from Mad Science Group Inc. were available to show the kids different pre-made robots. Each room was broken up into five groups to test out the various robots before creating their own. 

Craig Felzien, director of The Duree Center, thought the event was a great way for Lindenwood to become more involved in the community. 

“It’s a great connection, as far as recruitment goes,” Felzien said. “The kids really love it and it’s very hands-on.”

Everyone who built a robot was able to keep it and bring it home. The three-hour-long event was a great success for both the kids and Lindenwood. 

[masterslider id=”34″]

Photos by Lindsey Fiala