Boxer Fights In and Out of the Rink

Andrew Ebers | Lindenlink Contributor

Boxing is often seen as a tough man’s sport.  Many see the sport as brutal and cut throat. However, there is a softer side of boxing. The fight game can be a sport of finesse and tactic where the smart man holds the advantage over the strong man. Lindenwood’s own Jose Jones is one of those smart men.

Jones’ face may be a familiar one for many LU students. The professional boxer has worked in Lindenwood’s business office since 2002. He has utilized the University to gain one bachelors degree and three masters’ degrees. He is currently in the process of finishing his doctorate in andragogy.

“I have always believed in education first,” said Jones. “That’s why my boxing career hasn’t really started yet.”

Jones (1-0) began boxing at the age of 14 in Panama City Panama. He is the younger cousin of former WBA Cruiserweight Champion, Guillermo Jones.

“You could say boxing is in the blood,” said Jones. “I want to achieve in boxing what my cousin did, and put my name out there. My cousin made his name, so now I have to make mine.”

Currently Jones has only had one professional fight. He turned pro last April, winning his fight by unanimous decision.  Before turning pro Jones has a successful armature career.

“I’ve had 24 armature fights, including my two losses,” said Jones. “I also won golden gloves in 2007 and 2011.”

Jones currently trains at the St. Charles boxing gym with head trainer Mike Shipley. The gym is located off of Randolph and Second Street.

“I have been with Mike and JD since I came over here, and I have no intention of leaving,” said Jones. “I encourage everyone who wants to box to go there and train hard.”

The professional boxer plans on competing again in late March, possibly in Steve Smith’s Rumble time promotions.

“I’m just waiting for the call from Rumble Time or Midwest promotions,” said Jones.

Beyond the ring Jones has many other aspirations. He recently got his therapist license, and is aspiring to use boxing as a form of therapy.

“I’m looking to start a foundation to help kids,” said Jones. “I want to use boxing to help kids with anxiety, depression, and anger disorders.”

Jones currently teaches his boxing therapy class at Lindenwood. It is available for all Lindenwood students, and is worth one credit hour.

Jones claims that fighting is not only something that you do in the ring. He states that it is a state of mind that extends to everything in his life.

“Fighting isn’t easy, because I’m the kind of person that takes the same discipline that I use in my daily life. Being a single dad, having a full time job, and taking classes, it isn’t easy,” said Jones. “You come home at nine or 10 o clock exhausted, but you know that you are doing that for a reason. You have to do what it takes to be successful.”

Jones Currently teaches a Boxing Therapy class in the field house. Students may sign for the class up for one credit hour.

$575
$1000