Lindenwood’s Music Program brings chamber music to the foreground

Lindenwoods Music Program brings chamber music to the foreground

Daniel Bell-Nguyen, Reporter

Lindenwood’s Music Program is presenting its Fall Chamber Series, performing ensembles of woodwind and string instruments Monday night, showcasing student performers in an intimate setting.

Student musicians will be performing multiple styles of compositions and arrangements that will include classical and traditional Western music, without a conductor. In addition, contemporary music and chamber music from the 20thand 21stcenturies will be included.

The woodwind and string ensembles will be performing at 7:30 p.m. on November 25. The Fall Chamber Series was separated into two nights one for woodwind and string and the other for percussion was Sunday night.

Hannah Frey, an adjunct professor of violin and viola, coaches the string ensemble class. Frey ultimately said that the separation of ensembles allows more room for the different instrument groups to shine, but cited several reasons for the separate performances.

“Volume-wise the instruments work together a little bit better… keeping it similar makes it easier to listen to and easier to play,” Frey said.

Frey also added there is more music to choose from when the groups are separate because composers write for similar groups of instruments.

Although Frey assists and critiques the ensemble during practice every week, she said that the performers are on their own without a conductor, allowing for everyone to have their own parts.

Frey said this year, the woodwind and string ensemble will include two violins and a double bass.

“The students have been working really hard,” Frey said. “They would love for people to come out, support them, hear them play and share what they’ve been doing.”

The performance will be held at the Emerson Black Box Theatre at J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts, free of charge.