Lindenwood announces Phase 2 to COVID-19 protocol changes

Photo by Ben Kaiser

Lindenwood has mask required signs spread out throughout the campus

Ben Kaiser, News Editor

Lindenwood is preparing for further amendments to their COVID-19 protocol changes.

Last week, Lindenwood announced changes to the existing mask mandates and safety measures of the COVID pandemic. The university’s Pandemic Preparedness Task Force, or PPT, released a new e-mail Wednesday afternoon, announcing further changes to the safety protocol on campus. Starting next Monday, after spring break, the PPT will be moving to Phase 2 of lifting the university’s safety measures.

The Phase 2 changes will be:

• Masks will be optional in most settings on campus. In the Scheidegger theater, faculty overseeing rehearsals for upcoming academic performances will exercise discretion concerning whether students are required to wear masks during these preparations, since the theater can be considered an extension of a classroom. However, during actual academic performances, masks for both spectators and performers are optional.
  • If you are meeting a faculty or staff member in their office, they can request in advance that you wear a mask. If you do not wish to wear a mask for an in-person meeting, the meeting should be scheduled on Teams.
  • Distribution of isolation and quarantine reports will be discontinued.

Lindenwood will continue the following protocols:

• Masks are still required while attending or teaching courses in classrooms, labs, and studios for all students and professors (see above for guidance on academic theater rehearsals and performances).
  • Masks are still required in the Student Wellness Center.
  • Employees and students will continue to report positive test results or exposure to a confirmed COVID-19 case through the Initial Assessment Survey.
  • Individuals with a confirmed case of COVID-19 will still be required to isolate.
  • Exposed individuals will still be required to quarantine.
  • Employees and students will still be required to provide proof of a negative test to return to work or campus activities.

According to the PPT, these changes are being made based on the number of cases reported by both the university and the surrounding community. These reports give an optimistic outlook of the virus exposure, including the Omicron variant.

For any questions about COVID-19 or Lindenwood’s protocols, contact the university’s COVID Response Team.