Lunar New Year 2024: the year of the dragon

Photo by Pexels
Every Lunar New Year is associated with an animal zodiac. The year of 2024 is the year of the dragon.

Lunar New Year is the celebration of a new year based on the Lunar Calendar.

For those who do not know, the Lunar calendar is a way to mark time by the moon’s phases. This calendar is best known for its relation to Asian cultures but was used worldwide, in different variations. 

Lunar New Year is set to be 15 days after the first full moon of the calendar and is most commonly celebrated on the Asian continent. According to Britannica, the holiday falls “sometime between Jan. 21 and Feb. 20 according to Western calendars.” 

Some common celebrations and customs surrounding this day are to clean the home and remove bad luck. Most people do this 10 days before the New Year and then give their family members “lai see” on New Year’s Day. “Lai see” are red envelopes with small amounts of money in them, as a gift of good fortune. 

This is followed by a night of dancing and fireworks, ending with a lantern festival. The tradition dates back to the Eastern Han Dynasty 2,000 years ago in China.

“The festival is peppered with colorful red lanterns meant to bring good fortune. Various Chinese customs, such as lantern riddles from the Song Dynasty, add to the festival’s charm,” is how the festival is described in UNESCO’s ‘Did You Know’ informational series. It is a way to encourage good fortune for the following year.

Every Lunar New Year is associated with an animal zodiac. The year of 2024 is the year of the dragon. The dragon is the only animal of the Chinese zodiac that is a mythical creature. It is associated with the element of wood, and it symbolizes luck, strength, and power. Meaning that the year of the dragon will bring with it luck and prosperity.

For any students of Lindenwood University who want to celebrate the Lunar New Year this year, Reynolds and Pfremmer are hosting a celebration at Evans Commons on Feb. 10. Lindenwood University students are welcome to visit and celebrate the coming year of the dragon from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. There will be prizes, food, movies, and more.