Spring for Greek Life: what is planned for March

The spring semester is in full swing, especially for Greek life on campus.

Phi Delta Theta, a fraternity, is one of the many that have events planned during March.

One event coming up is the Phi Delta Theta spring formal. The fraternity has a formal every semester, and it is a great way for the brothers to bond.

“That is March 28th, 29th, and 30th at the Lake of the Ozarks. It’s just the guys going down there for a weekend and just kind of hanging out,” president of Phi Delta Theta Andrew Conley said.

Although the fall semester formal was in Kentucky, the fraternity will have their spring formal back in the Ozarks for a weekend full of fun.

Another event coming up is the Pie a Phi event happening on March 27. The event is exactly what the title says: a chance for someone to purchase a pie and to smash it in the face of a member of their choosing. There are three sizes available, and all of the proceeds go the ALS Foundation, a charity that funds the research for those who have ALS, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

“People just kind of come here and pay us to pie people in the face,” Conley said. “All of the money goes to the ALS Foundation. It’s helping a good cause, which is our national philanthropy.”

Phi Delta Theta members will be sitting in the first level of the Spellmann Center during lunch, ready for people to pie them. They will switch their shifts every so often but can be pied during this time.

Every member has their own role in getting the spring events ready. Working to create these events takes time and a strong mental space.

“I’m only the chaplain in the fraternity, so I just have to make sure anyone who does it is okay mentally,” Phi Delta Theta member Marques Roberts said.

After the month of March, the fraternity will have other small events occurring until the semester ends. Their main priority, however, is focusing on the recruitment for new members in the fall 2024 semester.