Analyzing student absentee rate at Lindenwood University

Photo by Disha Kayasth
An empty classroom in Roemer hall on Lindenwood campus.

Students not showing up for classes and their decreased participation, especially after spring break and before midterms, have garnered attention recently.

Teachers and administrators are discussing this issue, trying to identify the cause of this occurrence and find effective solutions. Feeling overburdened may be one of the main causes of student absence. Students may find it difficult to manage their workload as the semester continues and academic demands rise, which can cause anxiety and stress. Students who experience overwhelm may decide not to attend lessons regularly because they believe they cannot keep up with the pace.

A decrease in motivation is another element causing absenteeism. Many students are highly motivated at the semester’s start, but their enthusiasm can fade. Students’ motivation to attend classes might be affected by personal issues, a lack of interest in the course subject, or trouble grasping concepts.

Additional factors such as health issues, responsibilities within the family, or workplace commitments contribute to students’ absences. These factors significantly affect students’ ability to attend class regularly and often result in prolonged absences. For example, health problems including chronic diseases or unexpected medical crises may require students to put their health and well-being first, resulting in unattended class sessions.

It can also be difficult for them to maintain regular attendance because of obligations to their family, like taking care of elderly parents or helping younger siblings. Students who work part-time jobs or internships to generate income or obtain practical experience in their chosen fields may run into scheduling issues that make it difficult to attend classes regularly.

The differing circumstances significantly impact students’ ability to attend class regularly and highlight the complex challenges students navigate while pursuing higher education. For now, the only way to help students who do not attend classes is on a case-by-case basis.