Lindenwood Greek Life reflects on biggest takeaways from Greek Week

Photo by Catalina Corredor
Delta Tau Delta and Tri Sigma’s Chariot at Greek Games.

Last week, Lindenwood’s fraternities and sororities hosted Greek Week. 

Greek Week is a yearly tradition held not only by Greek Life at Lindenwood University but many other universities around the United States.

Greek Week is originally for Greek Life’s six social fraternities and sororities, but anyone is allowed to join. 

“The idea of developing the community we have here, and building long-lasting friendships and relationships with people was a big thing about this week,” junior Alex Martin said. “Getting everyone from all the organizations involved, and getting people to interact with each other outside of their organizations. Really building those relationships, and just fostering a good community here.” 

While Greek Week has been an event at Lindenwood University for a long time, last year was the first year it became a major event at Lindenwood.

According to Martin, a lot more people partook in Greek Week last year, leading to many more events, and a bigger group and bonding altogether. Much of last week’s Greek Week was adaptive to all those things last year, including both new and returning festivities and Greek Life looks to continue these traditions for years to come. 

“Definitely trying to get better attendance, just like everything else. Trying to get more people to come out,” Martin said. “For next year, we really want to try and just break records from this year, trying to get more community service hours, get more donations for our service drive.” 

Freshman Cody Heath feels like the events that happened in Greek Week brought many people together, as they inspired many people to work together with their fellow fraternity brothers or sorority sisters, be competitive, and have fun.

Alongside Greek Week continuing to be an annual spring event, the fraternities and sororities are still looking to have more and more fall and spring events to recruit more members and allow them to bond more and more amongst each other. 

“There is a fall recruitment and a spring recruitment that everyone has where they have events, and they can get to know everyone, and anyone’s allowed to join,” Heath said. “Everyone has their own process, everyone’s allowed to come out, and we want everybody among the community to grow. We want as many people to join and reach out to us. We are a close enough family, and then we also just continue to grow on this campus. We want to see growth and continuing movement forward on this campus. Just talk to people, figure out who’s in a fraternity or sorority, ask them questions, they’ll be more than happy to help you with that.”