Rink reopens, players treated after carbon monoxide scare

The Lindenwood Ice Arena, located in Wentzville is home to both the men's and women's hockey teams.
Screenshot taken from Google Street View

Lindenwood Ice Arena reopened Monday morning after being shut down following a carbon monoxide leak in the building.

Shortly after Lindenwood’s women’s ice hockey team battled the University of Wisconsin on Friday night, 19 players went to an area hospital to be treated for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The events began after Wisconsin’s team left the Lindenwood Ice Arena in Wentzville late Friday night.

One member of Wisconsin’s team began feeling ill after returning to the hotel. She was then treated for carbon monoxide-like symptoms and released from an area hospital.

Lindenwood was then contacted, resulting in 18 of Lindenwood’s own being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at St. Joseph Hospital.

hockey
Emma Hare (15) and Corbin Welsh (21) take on an opponent from Northeastern State.
Photo by Kelly Logan

According to Lindenwood Director of Communications Scott Queen, all Lindenwood players were released the following morning.

It is believed that the source of the carbon monoxide leak was an Olympia ice resurfacer.

“We’re still working to confirm it 100 percent, but we believe it was the [resurfacing] machine,” said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Brad Wachler. “The company that manufactures them came out and tested it and determined that it was emitting higher than normal levels.”

According to Wachler, the carbon monoxide level in the building reached 200, which is far higher than normal.

Because it was the machine, Wachler said “we don’t believe the issue left the ice surface, which is why none of the fans were affected.”

Queen also reported to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the university promptly notified hockey teams from Fort Zumwalt East and Francis Howell high schools of the incident, as they also had games in the ice arena on Friday night. However, neither team reported players becoming ill.

Queen said that at the time of the incident there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the arena. However, upon reopening detectors were being put in the building.

“They are just temporary detectors for now, but we will be hard-wiring permanent detectors into the building later this week to make sure something like this never happens again,” said Wachler.

 

*Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the brand of the ice resurfacer was Zamboni.

Facebook Comments
9002 Total Views 6 Views Today
Print Friendly