Opinion: Fall break provides students much needed rest, relaxation

Kelby Lorenz | Page Designer
From Print [October 6, 2015] | Legacy

Fall is a great time of year for a variety of reasons. Sweaters, scarves, pumpkin spice lattes, and bonfires are part of what makes fall wonderful. This year, Lindenwood has made fall even better by allowing us to have a small, but necessary, fall break. In past years, it has felt like a long-distance marathon from Labor Day break, which happens almost immediately after the first week of classes, and Thanksgiving.

With the addition of fall break, it feels like students will have a chance to relax, focus on themselves and take a well-deserved break. The necessity of a fall break is huge. College students are constantly bombarded with the stress-filled environments of classes, homework, jobs, work and learn, as well as athletics or extra-curricular activities. By taking time, even just two extra days, it allows students to catch up on all of the other stuff that clogs up their lives. Any looming homework or project deadlines can be completed, without compromising the break to lounge around and enjoy the company of friends and family.
fall leaves
In years past, the thought of not having a fall break was daunting. I felt like I was never going to make it to Thanksgiving because of all the stress I was put under to meet every deadline, while working at my job, as well as completing my work and learn hours. I had myself stretched so thin that I could barely get everything accomplished. It may sound crazy, but having a fall break has honestly helped with a lot of the stress that I normally have during this time. I keep reminding myself that if I can make it to fall break, then I can handle the rest of the semester.

By breaking the semester into smaller chunks, it becomes easier to manage and allows a sense of control back into my life. I don’t have a whole semester’s worth of due dates and assignments looming over my shoulder. I can take back control of my whole life, and I’m not worried about running myself ragged until Thanksgiving.

Honestly, the best part of having a fall break is being able to take a step back and refocus my mind. Allowing me an opportunity to evaluate the progress I have made so far this semester better prepares me to deal with the remainder of work I still have to accomplish.
As fall break draws near, take the time to refocus your mind and prepare for the rest of the fall semester. While on the break, go ahead and grab that adorable scarf, get a pumpkin spice latte, and relax at a bonfire with friends. We all deserve it.