St. Louis voters talk about pros and cons of each party

Romain Polge | Staff Reporter

For St. Louis City voters, the 2012 presidential election was an important moment and they wanted to make sure that they could get their voices heard.

“This is going to affect a lot of things,” said Colleen Gould, who has voted ever since she turned 18, when she was asked about the impact of the presidential election.

“This is the turnout of the century,” said Kymberly Smith after she voted at the James House voting poll. Smith wants to see what President Barack Obama can do with another term.

“I want to give him four more years to prove his point. The first four years, he did not get the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do with all the disasters and the economy. I think we need four more years to see what he can do.”

Kymberly Smith after she voted at the James House voting poll.

Gould voted for Obama at the Carpenters’ Hall in South St. Louis. “I am not going to get a tax cut if the Republicans are elected and take office. I think that they have proven that they want to do nothing but block anything and everything that the Democrats wanted to do, so they do not need to be on office.”

The polling place was filled with other Democratic voters who wanted to give the president another term.

“I think he (Obama) did a good job but it will take a little longer than four years,” said Joe Huth. “He did very well with the restrictions of the Congress, trying to get things accomplished.”

Mitt Romney’s voters also came to support their candidate.

“I voted for Romney, because of the problems we have been through with Mr. Obama,” said Cheryl Rebe. “And I am hoping and praying that Mr. Romney will see us through.”

Rebe just lost her job and she hopes that Romney’s career would help the country if he was elected.

“He is a businessman, for one. He has run companies and I was hoping that would help him with experience like that,” said Rebe.

Rebe said however, if Obama is reelected, that “the Americans. . .I guess will make it.”

Eric Callaway, a young voter, who had just come back from training with the United States Army Reserve, decided to vote for the Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson.

Carpenters’ Hall voting poll in St. Louis

“I decided to make a statement and vote Libertarian,” said Eric Callaway. “I decided to go against the two-party system and vote for the third.”

“I’m dissatisfied with the way the government has been running,” said a recent college graduate from the University of Missouri at St. Louis. “I decided it was time for some change to happen and I am personally in favor of the Libertarian party.”

$575
$1000