Another Bezemes Family Theater treat

Olivia Pettit | Lindenlink Contributor

On All Hallows’ Eve eve, in the cool of the night, under the queer glow of a full moon, something quite extraordinary occurred in J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts—a visual spectacle!

Tuesday, October 30, in the Bezemes Family Theater, Lindenwood Film Series screened a digitally remastered version of F. W. Murnau’s 1922 classic, Nosferatu.

For those of you unfamiliar with German Expressionism and early horror flicks, Nosferatu must be noted. Before Buffy slayed or Edward sparkled, Murnau underhandedly ripped off Bram Stoker’s late 19th century novel, Dracula, and produced Nosferatu. Murnau depicts a chilling gothic tale of Count Orlok’s quest for new real-estate and the savory taste of human blood. Count Orlok isn’t the coifed sexed-up vampire of today (sorry again Team Edward and True Blood fanatics).

The Count is what the undead should be; a creature with repugnant facial features, freakishly pale skin, beady eyes and a stilted gait. Yes! However, the draw of this particular cinematic experience wasn’t simply the film but the extravagant presentation. A luxurious theatrical venue, full symphonic ensemble, rich choral accompaniment and hundreds of enthralled spectators, transformed Bezemes into a movie palace of Hollywood’s Golden Age.

An original score, composed by Lindenwood’s own, Adam Tevlin, and performed by the university’s Concert Choir and Symphonic Orchestra provided a delightfully macabre soundtrack.

In addition to voicing a wonderfully melodramatic choral arrangement, the choir provided dialogue to the film—complete with authentic German and evil cackles. The orchestra offered an equally engaging performance—I was particularly wowed by the percussionists.

Huge planks smacked together, simulating the crack of ghoulish coachman’s whip. Marvelous! Apart from the gabby couple behind me who thought they were “whispering” the whole time— this was the perfect pre-Halloween treat!

$575
$1000