Opinion: Go to the 2018 St. Louis Women’s March; be an agent for change

Feminism is not a women’s issue; it is a human rights issue. When we realize that, the world becomes a better place for everyone.
Photo Illustration by Michelle Sproat

KEARSTIN CANTRELL | Opinions Editor

Women’s rights are human rights. That’s why once again, there will be a Women’s March in downtown St. Louis.

Last year, more than 10,000 people gathered downtown to walk down Market Street to make a stand for the rights of women in the United States. Many carried signs stating their opinions on President Trump. Others carried signs stating things like “Women’s Rights Are Human Rights” and “When They Go Low, We Go High.”

This year the people of St. Louis will be gathering once again to emphasize the importance of gender equality in our nation. 

The sad reality is that since this time last year, not a lot has changed in terms of gender equality for Americans. Women are still expected to be quiet and feeble. Men are still expected to be emotionless breadwinners. 

[masterslider id=”28″]

As a nation, we’ve made some big steps in the way we listen to women this past year during the #MeToo movement.

However, listening and doing are different. 

Women are still making $.79 for every dollar a man makes at work. Women are still patronized for putting their careers above marriage and childbearing and vice versa. Women are still told to be confident and then mocked for being “too confident.” Women are still afraid to walk down city streets alone at night for fear of being attacked or raped. 

Here’s the thing: We don’t need rape whistles; we need change.

If you want to be a part of that change, take part in the 2018 St. Louis Women’s March. 

The march is 10 a.m. tomorrow, Jan. 20 in downtown St. Louis. People will gather on Market Street in front of Union Station and walk the mile to the Old Courthouse.

For more information, visit the St. Louis Women’s March 2018 Facebook page.

Be an agent for change this weekend and always.