Lions drop both home games as losing streak continues

Sara Ross, No.11, drives to the basket in Lions’ 71-65 loss to Missouri Southern on Jan. 11. Ross tallied 14 points in the home loss against Fort Hays on Saturday.
Photo by Walker Van Wey

KYLE RHINE | Reporter

The women’s basketball team has now lost seven consecutive games after losing both games in the recent home stand.

The Lions lost a close game to conference opponent Nebraska – Kearney 80-78 on Thursday, Jan. 25, as Lindenwood had four players scoring in double digits.

Forward Gabby Walker and guard Charisse Williams each scored 10 points while guard Kylie Ferguson tallied 15 points. Forward Kallie Bildner led the team with 23 points in Thursday’s loss.

Lindenwood would fall 87-73 to conference opponent Fort Hays on Saturday afternoon.

The Tigers led 41-24 at halftime and the 17-point deficit was too much for the Lions to overcome.

Four players scored in double figures: Bildner tallied 13 points, guard Sara Ross scored 14 points and Walker registered 15 points. Williams led the team with 17 points in the loss.

The Lions were outrebounded 40-21 by Fort Hays and struggled from the free-throw line shooting 16-31 for 51.6 percent.

Meanwhile, Lindenwood shot poorly from beyond the arc, shooting 3-15 from 3-point range for 20 percent.

After beginning the season 10-4, the seven-game losing streak has put the Lions under .500 for the first time all season. Lindenwood’s struggles continue in conference play as its record is 2-10 in conference play.

“We’ve got to get back to doing what we do, and everything else will fall into place,” forward Kallie Bildner said.

Lindenwood’s next game will be against conference opponent Missouri Western State on Feb. 1 at 5:30 p.m. in St. Joseph, Missouri.