Leadership Series: delegating responsibilities

The Fall 2018 Leadership series occurs every Tuesday in Evans Commons 3020 at 4 p.m.
Graphic by Andria Graeler
Photo by Rolando Dupuy

MATT HAMPTON | Reporter

Student involvement coordinator Rachel Tolliver talked about how leaders should assign tasks to their team members as part of the Spring Leadership Series on Tuesday. 

“Leadership and Management:  Delegating Effectively” was held at 4 p.m. in Harmon 131.

• Delegating tasks allows leaders to focus on high-level tasks while other members learn new skills. However, some leaders are unwilling to delegate because they do not trust that their followers can perform well enough, Tolliver said.  
  • When delegating tasks to group members, list the task out by priority and assign them to the person whose strengths they best fit. Tolliver said, “If you don’t know the people you’re working with, delegating will fail because you don’t know if they will be able to do the things you’re asking them to do.”
  • Give them tasks that will challenge them, but that are not too difficult that they will not be able to do well.  
  • Have clear objectives. Tolliver said team members need to know how their work contributes to the success of the group so that they will feel invested in it.  
  • Teach your team members new skills to make the group more competent. “It may take more time up front, but it will save you time in the long run,” Tolliver said.  
  • Trust that your team members will accomplish their tasks, but check up on them to verify. According to Tolliver, it can be hard for leaders to find a balance between micromanaging and being too hands-off.  
  • Provide constructive feedback so delegated responsibilities can be an opportunity to learn.  

After the lecture, attendees participated in an activity in which leaders had to dictate to their teams how to build specific structures with wooden blocks.  

The next installment of the leadership series, “Finance 101:  Learning your Financial Planning Personality,” will be led by Lindenwood alumna and director of campus selection and development at Northwestern Mutual Sara Gregor on March 20.  

This is the sixth story in a series covering the leadership sessions offered on campus. Check back each week for updates.