LU’s 1st Art and Design Gallery on campus underway until Dec. 6

The+Art+and+Design+Gallery+is+located+in+the+basement+of+the+LARC.+

Photo by Matt Hampton

The Art and Design Gallery is located in the basement of the LARC.

Claire Beaudry, Reporter

Lindenwood University’s Art and Design Gallery began on Nov. 1 and will run until Dec. 6 at the Library and Academic Resources Center, and is open to the public. 

This is the first time the event is held at the LARC, and it is in the main hallway in the building’s basement. In past years, the annual event was organized by the Art History Association, and it was held at an outside gallery.

Last year, that gallery closed, and after looking for several places to organize this year’s exhibition, the LARC seemed like the best fit to hold the event, said Victoria Lane, a Lindenwood student and the host and coordinator of the exhibition.

“We were told that there was a vacant gallery space in the Library and Academic Resources Center,” she said. “When we inquired about reserving the space, we received an excited response from those in charge of it.” 

Lane was also the president of the Art History Association and said that the planning for this exhibition began at the end of last year. When the scheduling of this exhibition matched the new Art and Design Association’s agenda, she volunteered to become president of the new association and helped create and put together the exhibition with a group of students.

“The exhibitions have always been intended to not only allow students to showcase their work but also to give students an opportunity to gain experience in planning, curating and displaying an exhibition,” Lane said.

Some pieces in the gallery are for sale. Visitors can also speak to the artist and commission one of their pieces.  The exhibition is only for two-dimensional pieces, which includes paintings, drawings and photography. There is one project that is cut paper and one that is a digital art print of aluminium.  

Lane said that there will be a closing ceremony on Friday, Dec. 6, at 7 p.m at the exhibition. The ceremony will be open to the public, and there will be an award ceremony with some closing talks for people in the show.  She said a professional judge from outside of Lindenwood will choose the winning works to prevent the awards from being biased.  

The ceremony will also be an opportunity for the public to engage with the artists. 

Photos by Matt Hampton.  Sports Editor Merlina San Nicolás Leyva also contributed to this story.