Where Lindenwood students can get their flu shots

Photo by Mallary Vasquez

The Vaccination Area at the CVS location at 2100 First Capitol Dr. in St. Charles. CVS is one vaccine distributor offering the flu vaccine along with other yearly vaccinations.

Mallary Vasquez, Reporter

Flu vaccines are now available at a variety of retailers in the St. Charles area as well as on campus for students to combat the upcoming flu season.

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), everyone six months and older should receive a flu vaccine each flu season with few exceptions. This recommendation has been in place since the flu season of 2010-2011.

Most Lindenwood students are eligible to receive the flu vaccine both off-campus and on-campus.

“The flu shots are available in the wellness center,” said a family nurse practitioner at the Student Wellness Center Courtney Brush. “Students just need to call and set up an appointment to receive their shot.”

Brush said that students who receive the flu shot would be charged a $32 fee to their student account.

For the 2022-2023 flu season, patients would have the option between six types of vaccines:

Receiving the flu vaccine off-campus costs about $70 on average without health insurance. However, some insurance companies will cover the cost of receiving the vaccine.

Some retailers in the St. Charles area that provide flu vaccinations are:

According to the CDC, there is no recommendation for one type of vaccine over the other for those under the age of 65. For patients 65 years and older, the Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent vaccine, Flublok Quadrivalent recombinant flu vaccine, and Fluad Quadrivalent adjuvanted flu vaccine are recommended.

The U.S Department of Health and Human Services stated on its website that children under six months of age should not receive the flu vaccine. Patients with a history of allergic reactions to the flu vaccine or any of its ingredients (including egg proteins and gelatin), should talk to their healthcare provider before receiving a vaccine.

To schedule a flu vaccine on campus, students can call 636-949-4525.