Annual Juried Student Exhibition displays students’ best artwork

Showcase+of+Carly+Hermans+Spinal+Staircase+artwork+at+the+Juried+Student+Exhibition+at+J.+Scheideggers+Center+for+the+Arts.+

Photo by Sofiya Melnychuk

Showcase of Carly Herman’s “Spinal Staircase” artwork at the Juried Student Exhibition at J. Scheidegger’s Center for the Arts.

Sofiya Melnychuk, Editor-in-Chief

The Boyle’s Family Art Gallery at J. Scheidegger’s Center for the Arts is hosting its annual Juried Student Art Exhibition from March 31 to April 16, 2023.

Lindenwood’s Art and Design Faculty work on presenting, installing, and promoting the exhibition together. This year, the Director of the Boyle Family Gallery John Troy, Print Lab Manager Brandon Perkins, and Studio Technician Lacy Minor are in charge of the Juried Student Exhibition.

Troy has been a part of the team since 2003 and said the Student Exhibition has been around as long as there’s been an art program at the university.

“An opportunity to exhibit the students’ artwork is a critical component of all art programs,” Troy said. “Art cannot exist in a vacuum – it has to be seen.”

Troy said this exhibition is an excellent opportunity for students to learn about the professional presentation of their work. Being selected and participating in such exhibitions is a great addition to students’ resumes, as well as recognition of their works.

“They [students] learn about the jurying process and rejection, and they learn to evaluate their performance in relation to other artists,” Troy said. “It doesn’t matter what visual field they go into, participation and special recognition in a group exhibition are looked well upon.”

As the preparation process for the exhibition begins, students submit their works to be reviewed and some of them are selected. Students can submit up to six pieces of artwork to be selected and displayed at the gallery. This year, there were 75 submissions from about 25 students for this exhibition.

A person responsible for the selection and jury process this year is the Dean of the College of Education and Human Services Anthony Scheffler. He said he was impressed with the artwork he looked at and hopes the students continue to pursue their art and share their works.

“I really appreciate the diversity of the work and the creativity reflected in many of the pieces,” Scheffler said. “I not only enjoy examining other artists’ work, I also appreciate the opportunity to learn something from their techniques and their expression. I am impressed by the number of student artists who seem so comfortable in more than one medium.”

There will be a closing reception held on April 13 from 4 – 7 p.m., where students will be awarded prizes for the best work submitted. On the same day, there will be an annual Art Market in the Scheidegger Center Lobby. Attendees will be able to purchase students’ artwork as well as pieces that are not represented in the exhibition.

Sophomore Meredith Rodgers has participated in the Juried Exhibition since her freshman year. For this year’s exhibition, Rodgers submitted six pieces.

“I have participated in the juried exhibition both years I’ve been here,” Rodgers said. “I won first place in both the drawing and painting categories last year.”

Senior Amra Muratovic has submitted six pieces as well, with five of them being photographs. Muratovic is originally from Bosnia and is excited for the public to see the beauty of her country through her photos.

“I love capturing the beauty of my homeland Bosnia whenever I visit,” Muratovic said. “I appreciate all of the hard work put into making the exhibition look as amazing as it does. I’m excited to see everyone’s work and for everyone to see mine as well.”

The Juried Student Exhibition will be open to the public until April 16.