Viki Muench | Staff Reporter
Published May 13, 2015; 12:50 p.m.
1. Roll up your clothes. This keeps them from getting wrinkly, and you will fit a lot more items in your travel bag.
2. Put small items in bigger ones. You could use the room in shoes or smaller bags to stuff with smaller things. This way you make use of every inch and nothing is flying around your suitcase.
3. Be careful with liquids like shampoo bottles, as they could potentially spill. Simply put them in zip lock or plastic bags to prevent any explosions during your travels.
4. Place delicate or easily breakable items in the middle of your bag. This way, the clothes that surround them will function as protective cushions.
5. Always make sure to put heavier items on the bottom of your bag. Books and shoes could damage lighter items when your bag is moved around.
6. Sort your items by type to ease the unpacking, both when returning home and returning in the fall.
7. Label your all of your bags with tags that have your name on them and the address of your accommodation, as well as a way to get in touch with you in case your bag gets lost.
8. Mark bags with a small indicator to make sure that you will find your luggage more easily. This could be anything from stickers, ribbons or brightly colored suitcase-belts.
9. Follow airline policies. If you’re travelling by plane, check for weight requirements and information about carry-on items. There can be differences between each airline, so make sure you pack according to the individual policies.
10. Know what you have. Once you close your suitcase, you should weigh it so you aren’t surprised at the airport with a bag that is too heavy. A mini luggage scale comes in handy for that. These are available in any common drug or luggage stores.