KCLC launches student run station “The Tower”

The logo for The Tower, Lindenwoods new radio station.
The logo for The Tower, Lindenwood’s new radio station.

Lindenwood’s KCLC radio station has recently launched its new student-run HD3 radio station named “The Tower.”

The station launched on Monday, March 18, and features several talk shows and musical hours, all of which are hosted and run by students.  

Among the sports shows that are hosted include “The Rush,” hosted by Lucas Dalton and James Zugmaier, “Hear Me Out,” hosted by Jalen Johnson, and an additional Lindenwood sports’ show hosted by Emily Gawedzinski and Paige Derr. “Hear Me Out” is on air every Thursday at 11 a.m., and “The Rush” goes live every Friday at 5 p.m. 

“We’ll be talking about the Cardinals the the Blues, as well as Lindenwood sports,” Dalton said. “We’ve got a few segments and stuff planned out as well,”  

There is also a variety of musical shows hosted on the station, currently including a “Taylor Swift hour” hosted by Elizabeth Boaz, on Monday evenings at 6 p.m., and an “Italian Serenade,” hosted by Benedetto Buzzetta, hosted on Fridays at noon.  Also included in those musical hours is a trio of Wednesday night shows, starting at 6 p.m. with “Granola Girl Music Hour,” hosted by Genevieve Kochanowicz, followed by “Alternative Echoes” at 7 p.m. hosted by Jia Buck. The evening concludes with “Seoul Sounds,” hosted by Tori Hatton. The station also has a pair of Thursday evening music shows, starting at 7 p.m. with “Headbangers Heaven,” hosted by Emily Krakauskas, and an additional music show at 8 p.m. hosted by Parker Kilen. 

I chose this genre because I have been fascinated with K-pop and Korean media in general since my freshman year of high school. I just find the music and dance that K-pop entails so fascinating and the artists are so talented,” Hatton said. “My show is just a music show however I plan to expose listeners to a variety of K-Pop artists ranging from 1st gen-5th gen and groups of all popularity levels,” 

The station also has a bi-weekly talk show, hosted by Jacob Stanoch, called “The Jake Break Afternoon Drive,” which airs on Monday and Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.  

However, the station needs more student run shows to fill up its weekly schedule, and it’s an offer open to everyone, not just communications students.  

“If there’s somebody out there who is obsessed with old school hip hop, old school country music, or whatever, I really want to get them on to the station,” Communications department head Andrew Millians said.  

The station is also hoping to get sports play-by-play put onto the station in the near future, starting with students having the availability to call Lindenwood baseball games to start out.  

“My hope is to have a sports director and a station director by next year, and maybe even make those student worker positions,” Millians added.  

For anyone interested in joining the student-run effort, please reach out to Millians, or visit the station in the basement of the Spellmann Center for more information.

To listen to the station, you can visit the following link, where the station is broadcasted live online: https://radio.securenetsystems.net/cirrusencore/index.cfm?stationcallsign=KCLC3