Men’s soccer thriller ends in 2-2 draw

Daniel Rottlaender | Staff Reporter
September 12th, 2014; 12:05 p.m.

Lindenwood’s men’s soccer team faced Maryville University, which came into the game with one win and one draw on the season, in St. Louis on Wednesday. The Lions were looking to earn their second win of the season after the thrilling overtime win against Missouri S&T last Sunday.

The Lions got off to a good start in the first half and had two possibilities to gain the lead during the first six minutes through Andre Hayne and Ignacio Romero but both shots were too high to score a goal. Lindenwood dictated the game during the first 15 minutes but Maryville’s defense was able to move forward at the critical moments in order to marginalize Lindenwood’s offense. However, Maryville used their first goal chance of the game to score the lead. Gus Reinitz hit a perfect cross into the box which was redirected into the goal by Luke Gilsinger.

As a result of the deficit, the Lions moved forward to create goal chances and to tie the game. But even as LU continued to dominate the game, Maryville’s defense was able to avoid a goal against. Eventually, 1-0 was the halftime score. When the Lions came out of the locker room with the goal to improve their effectiveness since the Lions led the shots statistic during the first half with 5-1.

After the beginning of the second period Maryville had the chance to expand the lead but Sam Scoles header didn’t hit the goal. After that, the Lions found back to their dominance of the first period and created a lot of possession by kicking the ball around. However, the Lions couldn’t bring Maryville’s defense in real danger except for a shot of Andre Hayne in the 49th minute. Maryville was able to defend their lead until the 68th minute when Mitchell Hunt used a cross given by Mihajlo Petrovic to tie the game with a hard shot to the upper left corner.

In the aftermath, the game became an open clash. Both teams had possibilities to gain a second goal. The best goal chance was defended by LU’s defense in the 70th minute. In the 84th minute, Lindenwood’s defense turned over the ball to Maryville’s striker Gus Reinitz who used that opportunity to score Maryville’s second lead of the game. Lindenwood’s answer didn’t need a lot of time, just three minutes later Alejandro Da Silva tied the game again with a flighted ball assisted by the wind.

The overtime didn’t provide any opportunities to gain the lead for either team. Maryville attempted to create a goal chance but dashed against Lindenwood’s defense.
The Lions finished with a total of 10 shots, four of them were on the target and eight corner kicks. The game ended in a 2-2 draw.

The next men’s soccer game is scheduled for upcoming Saturday, September 13th against Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee.