Women’s soccer loses first conference match up

SONY DSC
The Lions offense was held in check by Central Missouri’s defense.

Phil Brahm | Staff Reporter
September 19, 2014; 11:00 p.m.

Playing in the first MIAA conference game of the season, the women’s soccer team was shut out 2-0 by undefeated Central Missouri.

After going 1-2 on the first stand of away games, the Lions came out strong against the Mules looking to eliminate missed opportunities. The Mules would set them back in the opening minutes of the half as Baylie Edwards scored her second goal of the season making the deficit 1-0. This was just one of five shots sent in the direction of LU goalie Melissa Weiss in the half. The Lions had four shots of their own, including one taken by Kristen Crabtree that struck the post.

SONY DSC
Lindenwood attempts to control a throw in against the Mules.

Throughout the half the Lions struggled with one on one battles, missing several opportunities to even the score. Miscues and over-shot passes also plagued the offense, leaving several players on the field frustrated. As the first 45 minutes expired, the Lions trailed 1-0.

The second half proved to be just as frustrating for LU, as they were unable to attack the net. While Central Missouri’s defense limited opportunities, the Lions’ matched the effort holding Mules to just one shot in the second half. Unfortunately that one shot would make it past Weiss, making the score 2-0 with just 10 minutes remaining in the half. With the game coming to an end, the Lions would not be able to find life, tallying the third loss of the season.

Freshman forward Alexis Robbers who scored LU’s lone goal in the team’s last match against Truman, lead the Lions with two shots in the game. Despite her disappointment she tried to remain optimistic after the game.

“I think we played really well against a good team,” Robbers said. “We just couldn’t put it in the back of the net.”

SONY DSC
A Central Missouri forward dribbles the ball past an LU defender.

With such a strong effort against one of the best teams in the conference, head coach Laurie Kaminski had hoped for a different outcome.

“Easily this game could have gone the other way,” Kaminski said. “A few mistakes by us, they made us pay and we just didn’t cash in on a few really good opportunities.”

After winning the conference championship last season, the Mules were ranked first in the MIAA coaches’ pre season poll. Receiving 10 first place votes out of the twelve available. The team now holds a record of 4-0-1 and will face the Lions again Oct. 10.

Dropping to 1-3-1, LU will take on Missouri Western State at Hunter Stadium on Sunday.

$575
$1000