LU pushes for heroin awareness

Some interesting statistics regarding heroin use from stopheroin.org

Viki Muench | Staff Reporter
Published March 10, 2015; 11 a.m.

Some interesting  statistics regarding heroin use from stopheroin.org

In January of 2013, 20-year-old Nicky Vigna passed away due to an overdose of heroin, an addiction that she had been dealing with for three years before it tragically ended her life.

On March 18, the Lindenscroll Honor Society will partner up with the organization Walking for Wellness: Stop Heroin to host the Stop Heroin awareness walk.

Walking for Wellness is a group that was founded by Vigna’s family shortly after Vigna’s passing.

In order to raise awareness about the drug, the members organize weekly walks in the St. Charles County area. The proceeds support local drug abuse education and prevention facilities.

Kelsey Schaberg, Student and Academic Support Services coordinator and Lindenscroll advisor talks about how Lindenwood got involved with the cause.

“One of our members had gone to elementary and middle school with Vigna and thought this was a great opportunity to partner with a community organization and bring awareness of the problems with this drug to Lindenwood’s campus.”

After a successful turnout of past events, the expectations are very high for this year’s walk.

“2013 was our first walk, and that week I said, ‘I just hope 20 people show up.’ We had well over 100,” Schaberg said.

“All are welcome, and many of Walking for Wellness’s community members come to the walk as well.”

Participants will meet at 5 p.m. at the Spellmann clocktower and start walking at 5:30 p.m.

The walk will end at the Dunseth Auditorium in Harmon Hall at 6:30 p.m., where Vigna’s older sister, Brittney, will speak about her sister’s story and the big impact heroin had on her life.

“There will be free water bottles, bracelets, and popcorn,” says Schaberg.

Anyone interested in supporting the cause prior to the event can purchase Walking for Wellness neon T-shirts that promote the Stop Heroin movement.

These will be available for $10 during lunch and dinner at both Evans and Spellmann, every day through March 18. The proceeds will support Walking for Wellness.

For more information, check out the official website for Walking for Wellness here.